Risking A Septic Tank Overflow

Septic tanks are generally filling up with weird wonderfulness just waiting to be free. Approximately 20 percent of American homes depend on them and an estimated 10 to 20 percent of these systems are said to malfunction each year. The other 80 percent just do not understand how lovely this can be. They try so many ways to prevent a delightful overflow from happening. This is probably because they have delicate noses that cannot appreciate the pungent aroma that emanates when the contents are allowed to flow free, not to mention the addition of the millions of E. coli bacteria into the environment.  

So, if you happen to be one of the discerning few who can fully appreciate the mushy glory of a septic tank overflow, here are a few things you can do to ensure a consistent supply.

Regular maintenance?

A sure way to develop a sludge-filled basement, garden or backyard is to completely ignore what the experts say. They like to spout nonsense such as telling everyone to get their tanks pumped out every three to five years. Those cleaners with their pumps come in and remove all the oozy goodness that has been building up. It will take years before you are close enough again to achieve this nirvana. 

If you have a small tank that will hold about 1,000 to 1,500 gallons of waste and have a family of four or more, then you might have to wait another two to four years before once again getting close to a septic overflow. Such a waste of perfection!

Encourage Bacterial Deficiency

The bacteria in a septic tank help to cause diseases when they come out to play. However, when they are actively engaged in your septic system they are not very helpful to the cause of creating an overflow. They decompose your muck and mire and cause you to have to wait even longer for the anticipated discharge. 

While you might not want to kill them all, to achieve an overflow you don't want a lot of them in the system either. Therefore, you can flush down intermittent supplies of bleach or abrasive bathroom cleaners, disinfectants or chlorine-treated water as these will help to keep their numbers in check. And please, do not allow for the addition of any bacterial additives to your system. This will only serve to increase their population. 

Additional Help

Please allow trees to grow close to the septic system so that the tree roots can grow through your pipes. You can also ensure that parking is allowed over your septic tank as these factors are sure to hasten the demise of the structural integrity of the system and lead to an overflow. 

Additional assistance in speeding up the overflow issue could be achieved if you keep adding non-biodegradable materials down the toilet such as condoms, dental floss or diapers. If these are still not getting the desired effect quickly enough, then be sure to invite as many people over as often as possible. Your septic tank can then be fully stretched to the limit and will back up even sooner.

Talk with a septic tank contractor from a business like Southern Sanitary Systems Inc if you have more questions about your tank.